P A K U B A T U

Tidak bohonglah hati tentang apa yang di lihatnya (An-Najm-11)

Tidak bohonglah hati tentang apa yang di lihatnya (An-Najm:11)

Followers

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Understanding Conversion: Bridging the Two Selves

Do we need a bridge to join our inner selves? How can Muslims who converted to Islam link their lives before and after Islam?

How someone experiences the world and how they view it and life can completely change after choosing Islam.
Picture © Microsoft.com

Sometimes I think about how much my life has changed over the past nine years. When I try to reflect back on my days before Islam, I often find it difficult to recapture what life was like. Sure I can remember events, people, places, and different experiences, but to go back and really feel what it was like, I have to reflect deeply.
When I am able to reconnect with my "former self," I find it a remarkable experience. Although I am still very much the same person as I was in 1998, how I experience the world and how I view it and life has completely changed. Life is the same, yet different. 
Understanding ourselves can be a great source of wisdom.
Especially with those from the West, many, many engrained cultural values have to be challenged and overcome in order for "self-Islamization" to occur.
 blog it

No comments: